I discovered a new-to-me blog this year, Crockpot 365
Stephanie O'Dea challenged herself in 2008 to use her crockpot everyday. I
didn't read far enough to see if she did, but she has created a cookbook
from it (recipes are also on her blog, so you don't have to buy it). I
decided I wanted to add her book to my collection. For those that are
gluten-free, all her recipes are/or adapted to be GF.
She has some really different recipes that I would never think to do in a
crockpot, and honestly, I think some would be just easier traditionally.
But nonetheless, today I am making Bacon and Cheese Chicken... link and text
copied from her site.
Mel
Crockpot Bacon and Cheese Chicken
--2 T olive oil
--4-6 chicken breast halves, or equivalent bird pieces (I used 8 breast
tenders)
--12 pieces cooked and crumbled bacon
--1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (I used Tamari's wheat-free that I found at Whole
Foods)
--1/2 cup Ranch salad dressing
--1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
The Directions.
Put the 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the bottom of your crock and spread
it around. If you are using thighs or fattier cuts of meat, this step is
probably optional.
Put the chicken in the crock on top of the oil.
In a small bowl, combine the teriyaki sauce and the ranch dressing. I kept
tasting this---the flavor is so bizarre and tasty; I've never had anything
like it.
Pour sauce over the top of the chicken. Add the shredded cheese and the
crumbled bacon to the crock, getting between the chicken pieces, if you can.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4. The cooking time
will depend on how thick your chicken pieces are, and if they are fresh or
frozen.
Since I used the tiny breast tenders (frozen) our dinner cooked in only 3
hours on high.
from Melissa Devin
1 comment:
Note from Kathleen in Kennewick
Most bacon has gluten. Unless you buy Uncured Bacon. Try Beeler's Uncured... it's amazingly good. I get it at PCC in Seattle and bring back a cooler full. We are not on a gluten-free diet; I just found this bacon a few years ago and fell in love with it. There are no nitrates or nitrites added and the taste is incredible.
Post a Comment